Wednesday

My World Wednesday: Heiliger Schutzengel

When I was a little girl, my aunt and uncle lived in a big Victorian house. It was there that I fell in love with everything Victorian, including this picture. It hung in what had originally been the nursery. I suppose it simply never got moved as different generations passed through the home.

The print is called Heiliger Schutzengel or in English, Guardian Angel. It shows a little boy and girl crossing a very rickety bridge over rushing water. Lightning flashes in the sky. Their beautiful Guardian Angel watches over them though, keeping them safe.

I hadn't seen the picture in 40 years when my husband and I came across this print at an antique market. I recognized it right away and it still had the same pull on me. We bought it and brought it home.

I had no idea what kind of frame to use with the print so it didn't get hung. The following Christmas though, my husband gave me the framed print for a gift. He'd found the perfect frame at a public sale and bought it without even knowing the exact size of the print and whether it would fit. It did fit beautifully.

Heiliger Schutzengel now hangs in my bedroom. And it always will.

I've never been able to find out much on the picture. The original print was published by Lindberg but no one seems to know who painted it or when. The title, as well as the dress of the children, seems to indicate a German artist. A modern print is available at almost every online poster store these days.

If you've seen this picture before, please tell me about it. I love hearing stories about where it hung and in whose house. I'm sure it must be familiar to many of you.

Tomorrow: Back to the Princess Tea with menu ideas!