Thursday

Retro Tea: Crabbies

These used to be served at every party. I think that’s why they fell out of favor with hostesses; no one wants to offer the same treats over and over again. But these little crab bites are soooooo good. They are perfect for any party because they can be made, frozen and simply heated just before needed.

I wasn’t certain that the Kraft Old English cheese spread was still available but I bought it yesterday. I’d normally suggest making your own cheese spread but since this is a retro recipe, I wanted to keep it original. Two pieces per person may seem to be on the short side but these are so rich that most guests really do only want two.

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 ½ teaspoons onion powder
1 ½ teaspoons garlic salt
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
½ teaspoon pepper
1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, picked over
1 (5 ounce) can of Kraft Old English cheese spread
6 English muffins

Combine the butter, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic salt, garlic powder, pepper, crab and cheese spread. Spread the mixture over English muffin halves and freeze until firm. Remove from freezer and cut into quarters. Return to the freezer until ready to bake. Preheat oven to 375ยบ and bake for 15 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Yield: 24 pieces

I've been tagged by Rosemary at Rosemary's Sampler to do this quick meme. I won't pick anyone in particular to pass it to; if you'd like to answer, please feel free. Here goes:

Ten years ago... That summer we had painters, spouting guys and a couple stone masons. The painters were here for three months. I was so anxious about having strangers all over our house but it turned out to be a good experience. All of the guys were extremely respectful and polite and really lots of fun. We tried to make their time with us as pleasant as could be and I believe they appreciated the pitchers of iced tea, the Friday pizza parties and most of all, allowing them to come in the house to use the bathroom.

Five things on today's to do list...
1. Attend my cookbook club
2. Watch the Russia-Spain football match to find out which one will play my German team in the final
3. Make something for my husband to eat
4. Water the petunias on my front porch
5. Decide on a dessert to make for my mother’s July 4th picnic



Things I would do if I was a millionaire.... Buy lemons. Seriously at the store yesterday they were a dollar a piece. Now I’ve been known to splurge at the grocery store, a beef tenderloin for a dinner party, 10 pounds of shrimp for a holiday open house, hideously expensive olive oil and balsamic vinegar. But yesterday I put back the lemons. It’s the first time I’ve ever done that. An old boss of mine told me that she loves grocery shopping because, while she couldn’t buy what she wanted in other areas of her life, she knew she could buy any single item in the grocery store. I’m guessing those days have passed for her now too.

Places I have lived... I’ve always lived in Pennsylvania. It’s a pretty good place to hang out. With all the terrible weather others are having, in PA our only significant weather problem is an occasional winter blizzard. We get to enjoy all four seasons and are able to grow a huge variety of fruits, nuts and vegetables. We have big cities but still have open rural spaces. We have our own oil, coal and nuclear power plants. I’m pretty sure Pennsylvania could be its own country and not have to depend on anyone else. :)