Wednesday

My World Wednesday: New Camera

Yep, my replacement camera has arrived. I chose a Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black.) My, that seems an awfully lot of words to describe one camera and one lens. Having had the camera less than 24 hours though, I do believe it is just what I wanted.

My old Kodak had the astounding pixel rating of 2. The Canon shoots 12. I can’t imagine what I’ll do with those extra 10. It will require some time for me to be able to take pictures without using the auto button. While I used to set aperture and shutter speed and film speed on a 35 mm, I really need a refresher course. And a map. I’ve never seen so many buttons.

Will a new camera improve my blog photos? I doubt it. I don’t think I have a photographer’s eye. No camera will help me with that. I’ll have fun learning something new and I love the possibilities available now.
---
Have those of you in the US been getting tons of political calls and emails? I don’t think a day has gone by in the last weeks that someone hasn’t called to remind me of a candidate’s record or to ask for whom I’m voting or what I feel are the biggest issues. I don’t mind answering those things but I won’t give out personal information over the phone. It is funny that polling people save the questions about how much money you make until the end of their spiel and then they get quite testy when they don’t get an answer.

The strangest political call I received was for my state’s attorney general. The questions were so skewed that I almost had to laugh. They asked things like "Does knowing that XXa took money from big oil make you more likely to vote for XXb?" "Does knowing that XXa has been seen sneaking around with organized crime figures make you more likely to vote for XXb?" There were 10 questions of this nature. Who comes up with such ideas!

My friend Luda received her citizenship in March so this is the first election in which she can vote. She’s been putting so much thought into her choice. Her parents, still in the Ukraine, recommend one candidate while her husband recommends the other. But Luda will make up her own mind as should we all.