Monday

Blog-a-thon Week 4

This is Week 4 of Gracious Hospitality's Blog-a-Thon. The idea for this week is: Share ideas and pictures that involve stitching for the tea table. Any kind of stitches count: sewing, embroidery, knitting, crochet, tatting, quilting, etc. The work can be yours or of someone else, but should be homemade rather than done by factory machines. Ideas are napkins, tea cozies, table linens, and other creations made with tea themes.

I love doilies, all doilies, ancient ones, modern ones, made by people I know or made by strangers. I always use doilies on my tea tables, as well as around my Victorian house. The doilies I'm showing here are a mix of very old, created by my husband's great aunts, and merely old, created by my own grandmother. I don't know the pattern names unfortunately.

I'm often asked how to remove stains from old pieces like these. I recommend mixing hot water and Biz in your sink or dishpan. Let the crocheted piece soak for a half hour or so; rinse and repeat until the stains are gone. Never ring out the water; blot dry on a thick towel. You can also use the sun to help whiten pieces by laying them outdoors. One caution with crocheted pieces, be very careful about using starch. Use very little and don't put your doilies away without first washing the starch out.