Thursday

Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries

We have sour cherries for only three weeks each summer, less if the weather is especially hot. They’re in now so it was time for me to get to work. I had 6 quarts of cherries and with them I made 3 pies and 2 cherry puddings. It isn't difficult to do the baking but pitting the cherries is the part I hate. It took me 90 minutes to pit all 6 quarts. There was cherry juice everywhere, even on Seamus' head. You can just see his foot in the picture above.

Cherry pudding is called cherry clafouti in some circles but no one here in Pennsylvania Dutch country would know what you meant if you said clafouti. This is a favorite of my mother’s friend John so I make the cherry pudding for him. He told me that when he was a little boy, they had cherry trees on their farm. He’d pester his mother over and over to make cherry pudding. She grew so weary of his constant requests that she thought she’d teach him a lesson. She baked a large cherry pudding and told him it was all his. The only catch was that he had to sit and eat it right then. She was hoping that it would make him sick and he’d never want it again. But he couldn’t have been happier. He ate the whole thing without any ill effects. The next day he was back to bugging his mother for another cherry pudding.

Cherry Pudding

2 eggs
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ to ¾ cup milk
4 tablespoons soft shortening
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups red sour cherries

Cream together shortening and sugar; add eggs. Sift in dry ingredients. Add milk and mix well. Fold in drained cherries and bake in greased and floured pans (1 ½ quart.) Bake at 400ยบ for 35-40 minutes until top forms a rich brown crust. Serve at once with milk and sugar or with ice cream and a syrup made from left-over cherry juice.

My friend Anita from Prairie Dreams passed this award to me. I think it is so cute. Thanks, Anita!