Tuesday

Chocolate Fantasy Fundraiser Tea: Chocolate Pie

Growing up, chocolate pie was my brother’s favorite dessert so my mother made it often. I don’t think I’ve had a piece since I left home.

I’m a bit under the weather with the flu that’s been going around. So if I don’t stop by your blog in the next couple days I hope you’ll understand.

1 fully baked 9-inch pie crust
2/3 cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsweetened, nonalkalized American-style cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 ½ cups whole milk, divided
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large heavy saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt until well blended. Add about ¾ cup of the milk, stirring until smoothly incorporated. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and the butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Constantly stirring and scraping the pan bottom to prevent scorching, continue cooking until the mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, 2 to 2 ½ minutes. Immediately remove from the heat. Add the chocolate, stirring until it completely melts and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla.

Strain through a medium-fine sieve into pie shell. If you wish to prevent a skin from forming on the surface, lay plastic wrap directly on the filling. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.